For some channels, of all the tips for starting on YouTube, competitor research is one of the most valuable.
Find successful creators in your niche and spend some time on their channels. Read their descriptions, watch their content, and check out who their subscribers are.
Ask yourself the following questions as you browse:
- What kinds of videos seem to get the most views, likes, or comments?
- What keywords does the creator use to describe their content?
- How do they respond to negative comments?
- What tools or editing software do they use?
- How do they encourage subscriptions?
Use the answers to plan your own content. Build off of ideas that work well and avoid those that don’t.